This vegetarian okra and potato curry is a simple and delicious way to cook okra, in a curry. We made this to go with the Tandoori Chicken Skewers, served with homemade roti and coriander chutney. This recipe will convert you to liking Okra as does not end up in one sticky mess. With the addition of potato, it makes quite a substantial dish by itself. If you want to add a vegetarian protein, you can add some paneer cheese.
We cooked this curry in the largest of the Tefal Ingenio pans (28cm) on an induction hob, as seen in the pictures below. It is quite deep and you can cook quite a lot of food in it without worrying about overflow.
This recipe is by one of the chefs at L’atelier des Chefs who run fab cooking lessons. You can get a 10% discount on the cooking lessons here by using the coupon code TEFAL10 on checkout.
A delicious spicy Indian vegetarian curry using potatoes and okra as a main or a side dish
- 300 g Okra,
- 600 g Desiree potatoes
- 1 whole Red onions
- 1 whole Red peppers
- 50 g Fresh ginger
- 6 whole Tomatoes
- 4 whole Garlic cloves
- 1 whole Green chillies
- 1 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 1 tsp Ground turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 50 g Unsalted butter
- 1 bunch Fresh coriander
- 4 pinches Maldon salt
- Wash the okra and dry
- Trim, cut and sauté the okra, leave to cool.
- Finely dice the red onion,
- Peel and finely dice the ginger and garlic,de-seed and finely dice the chilli.
- De-seed the pepper, cut into 3 cm pieces.
- Peel the potato, dice into 2-3cm cubes. Dice the tomato.
- Pick the coriander leaves and lightly chop.
- Finely dice the red onion. Peel and finely dice the ginger and garlic,de-seed and finely dice the chilli.
- Sweat the onions in the butter, sprinkle with salt, when the onions have released some moisture, add the ginger,fenugreek seeds, chilli and garlic.
- Cook over low heat until the onions are translucent.
- Add the pepper, cook until softened slightly, add the potato.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they have broken down into a thick stew and the potatoes are firm but tender.
- Season to taste.
- Return the okra and to the pan, cook until the okra is soft. Sprinkle with the chopped coriander before serving.
- Sprinkle with the chopped coriander before serving.
EatCook Explore was a guest of Tefal at L’Atelier Des Chefs