Nothing I like better than a luscious pudding. This apple pie recipe used seasonal bramley apples and blackberries. The special touch is in the addition of a ginger caramel sauce. It has never crossed my mind to use ginger in a caramel sauce before but it works really well.
To finish off our Lazy Cooking Class, we made this delicious Apple and Blackberry Pie with Ginger Caramel. Served with a big scoop or vanilla ice cream.
The other dishes we cooked were:
Apple and blackberry pie
A very delicious pie using seasonal apple and foraged berries, with the added ginger caramel sauce, making it extra special.
Serve it with a good Vanilla Ice cream or double cream.
For the ginger caramel:
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 6 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 4 tbsp single cream
- 1 tbsp Very Lazy ginger paste
- Pinch of salt
For the apple, blackberry & ginger puff pastry:
- 1x pre-rolled or pre-made puff pastry sheet
- 2x large Bramley apples
- 1x punnet of blackberries
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp Very Lazy Ginger paste
- 3 tbsp sugar
There are scientific & unscientific ways to make caramels and caramel sauces. The problem is, because a lot of sauce recipes are scientific (take the temperature here, check how many molecules there are etc), it has made making caramel sauces intimidating to most. In fact, caramel sauces are one of the simplest things to make and before you know it you’ll be making them in your sleep.
For this sauce, add the butter, sugar & golden syrup to a clean frying pan & allow to melt over a medium heat. Feel free to stir the sauce as much as you think it needs with a wooden spoon. You do after all want to ensure all the elements combine.
Once all melted, allow to bubble away for 4-5 minutes but still stir occasionally. At this point, add the cream, stir through & cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Finally, add the ginger & salt and allow to bubble away for a further 3 minutes. You’re done!
- Either decant into a bowl or leave where it is.
`Apples and Blackberries
[caption id="attachment_11403" align="aligncenter" width="750"] Core apple[/caption]
- Core the apples & slice into chunks. Add to a bowl with the blackberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, nutmeg, coconut oil, Very Lazy ginger paste & sugar. Mix through till all ingredients are evenly dispersed.
- Pour the mixture into individual baking tins or a larger baking tin. Cover with the puff pastry or blind baked vegan crust. Lightly brush milk over the puff pastry & make sure the edges are tucked in.
- Bake for approximately 18-25 minutes (this will depend on your oven) at 190 degrees Celsius or until the pastry is golden & the fruit mixture is bubbling up around the edges.