A while back I tried some very moist and squidy brownies and later found out they were made with mayonnaise. So I thought I’d try and bake some for a friend.
This recipe used Hillfarm Oil’s Mayonnaise and the recipe is from their site. I added walnuts tot their recipe as I like my brownies with nutty bits in them and I found that mine took a lot longer to cook so just use the suggested timing as a suggestion and adjust it to your own oven.
You can read about the nutritional and health benefits of rapeseed oil here.
Brownies with Rapeseed Oil Mayonnaise
- 325 g Caster sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 100 mls Milk
- 200 mls Hillfarm Rapeseed Oil
- 75 g Cocoa powder
- 100 g Plain flour
- 100 g Chocolate chips
- A handful of walnuts lightly crushed. Save some whole ones for decoration if you like
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Line a 10” x 12” rectangular metal roasting tin with foil
- Mix together the dry ingredients (apart from the chocolate chips) in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix – when they are well combined add 74g of chocolate chips
- Add the crushed walnuts
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out with a spatula.
- If you had spare walnuts, you can dot them on top as decoration
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25 minutes (until the top has set but is very springy so that the middle is very soft).I had to cook it for longer as my oven was not cooperating. Keep testing it with a skewer to check that the middle is cooked and not runny.
- Turn out onto a metal cooling rack. When cool, slice into squares and enjoy!