A while back I tried some very moist and squidgy brownies and later found out they were made with mayonnaise. Who knew you could make brownies with mayonnaise? So I thought I’d try and bake some for a friend. Here goes.
This recipe used Hillfarm Oil’s Mayonnaise and the recipe is from their site. I added walnuts to their recipe as I like my brownies with nutty bits in them and I found that mine took a lot longer to cook so just use the suggested timing as a suggestion and adjust it to your own oven.
This mayonnaise brownie recipe is actually really simple. Just a handful of ingredients and a few steps. The trickiest bit is to make sure that you adjust your baking time depending on your oven, as every domestic oven is slightly different.
If you want an easy baking project, make these Mayonnaise brownies for gifts or for your family.
Let me know if you try this recipe in the comments below.
You can read about the nutritional and health benefits of rapeseed oil here.
Brownies with Rapeseed Oil Mayonnaise
- 325 g Caster sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 100 mls Milk
- 200 mls Hillfarm Rapeseed Oil
- 75 g Cocoa powder
- 100 g Plain flour
- 100 g Chocolate chips
- A handful of walnuts lightly crushed. Save some whole ones for decoration if you like
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Line a 10” x 12” rectangular metal roasting tin with foil
- Mix together the dry ingredients (apart from the chocolate chips) in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix – when they are well combined add 74g of chocolate chips
- Add the crushed walnuts
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth out with a spatula.
- If you had spare walnuts, you can dot them on top as decoration
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 25 minutes (until the top has set but is very springy so that the middle is very soft).I had to cook it for longer as my oven was not cooperating. Keep testing it with a skewer to check that the middle is cooked and not runny.
- Turn out onto a metal cooling rack. When cool, slice into squares and enjoy!
Can I use mayonnaise instead of eggs in brownies?
You can use mayonnaise instead of eggs in brownies as mayonnaise is made from a blend of oil and eggs. Using mayonnaise will help you bake a moist and fundgy brownie.
Can you use mayonnaise instead of oil for brownies?
Yes you can directly substitute an equal amount of mayonnaise for the amount of oil in a recipe. 1 cup to 1 cup.
What is the secret to moist brownies?
Having adequate moisture by using butter, oil or mayonnaise will ensure that you get moist brownies. You can use full fat milk instead of water if the recipe calls for it as the extra fat content will add to the moisture and taste much better.
What can I use in brownies if I don’t have oil?
You can use mayonnaise to replace the oil in a brownie recipe. The mayonnaise will add moisture to the brownie mix. Another option is to use melted butter and to add an extra level of flavour, use nutty brown butter.