Cantonese Style Beef Steak is fusion dish that Hong Kong chefs created to emulate a Western dish. The addition of the HP sauce and Worcestershire sauce, it gave it their version of a European flavour. The resulting sweet and sour flavour make this dish really appetising and appeals to even Chinese Food sceptics.
This tender and delicious Chinese Stir-Fried Beef dish is not your usual Chinese dish. It is not one of the dishes that you will regularly order from the takeaway. You will find it at most Cantonese restaurants in Chinatown.
This dish can be made with any cut of steak although the beef fillet is the most tender. If you use another cut, you can tenderise the meat before cooking.
This is usually served as part of a Chinese meal which will feature a few other dishes like a stir-fried green vegetable and steamed rice.
Vote to win a Weber BBQ
My entry looks like this:
Cantonese Style Beef Fillet
Yield 4 people as part of a Chinese meal
A delicious way to cook steak, Chinese Style. Made with a tangy sweet and sour sauce. Serve this dish as part of a Chinese meal with some other dishes on the side, it makes a very elegant dinner party
- 600 g of Irish Beef Steak
- 2 tbs Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbs of light soy sauce
- 1 tsp of white pepper
- 1 tbs of corn flour
- 2 tbs of cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 white onion, sliced into thick wedges, about 1cm
- 1 tsp corn mixed in 2 tbs cold water
- Sea salt for seasoning
- 1 handful of Bok Choy or Asian greens of your choice, halved lengthwise and blanched just before serving
- 1 spring onion, julienned for garnish
* If using a fillet of beef, it will make it easier to slice is you put the beef in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Don't let it freeze.
For the sauce;
- 6 tbs of tomato ketchup
- 2 tbs HP Sauce
- 1 tbs of worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbs of sugar
- 1/2 cup of stock
- some white pepper
Slice the fillet of beef or your choice of steak into palm sized pieces. Tenderise each piece with a meat tenderiser or use the back of a kitchen knife or cleaver. This will make your steak very tender.
Marinate beef with the soy sauce, Shaoxing rice wine, white pepper and corn flour. Cling film your bowl and put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Place all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Pan fry beef in a hot well-seasoned wok (or large non stick pan) in a little oil for 20 seconds on each side and set aside.
In a hot wok, add a tablespoon of oil and saute garlic and onion for a minute.
Add the sauce mixture to the pan and cook for a minute.
Add in the corn flour solution to thicken the sauce. You want a sauce that coats the back of a spoon.
Return beef to the wok and lower the heat. Stir in the beef to ensure that each piece is evenly coated.
Serve hot with some steamed rice and some green vegetables on the side.
Serving Size Serves 4 as part of a Chinese meal
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Pin This Recipe to Try Later!