As an alternative to the standard baked potato, try this Hasselback Potato with a twist. It will look really impressive if you are making this for friends. My dinosaur loving nephew loves it as he says it looks like something-saurus.
You can make it plain and unadorned or you can pile on any filling or topping that you fancy. It is infinitely versatile and very easy. Just leave it to bake in the oven and go off and do something else. Make a few at a time and have them later.
Hasselback Potatoes with bacon and cheese
- good sized potatoes for roasting
- grated cheddar or alternative nice melting cheese
- a few rashers of bacon
- spring onions or chives for garnish
- Preheat oven to 210°C/gas mark 7/425ºF
- Wash and dry the potatoes
- Cut slices into each potato using a sharp knife but place a wooden spoon to prevent cutting all the way through.
- Slather on some butter liberally and season with some sea salt
- Bake in the oven for about 1 hour and test to see if it is done.
- Meanwhile, Fry some bacon until crispy and crumble. Set aside.
- Grate the cheese in preparation
- When the potatoes are ready, pile on the cheese on top and place under a hot grill for a few minutes to until the cheese has melted.
- Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle over the bacon and spring onions.