I love the delicious flavours of the marinaded meats at the Korean BBQ and found that it’s very easy to make at home. The ingredients used are easy to get from an Asian supermarket and the best thing is that it is so quick to cook, especially if you have an electric tabletop grill. If you have never tried marinading steak before, give this Korean BBQ Steak recipe a go. Use it for your next BBQ pot luck. You can use the same marinade to make Vegetarian Korean BBQ mushrooms.
Korean BBQ Steak Bulgogi
- 500 g steak use a marbled, tender cut like sirloin or rump, preferably grass fed
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 onion blended
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Asian pear blended (optional)
- black pepper
- Thinly slice your steak into thin strips to cook quicklyMix all the marinade ingredients well in a big bowl. Marinade the beef for at least 30 minutes or overnight.To cook the beef, use tongs to place on the heated grill, on a medium heat. Turn over quickly as it sizzles, and it will be ready in about 30 seconds. You can use a frying pan if you don't have a grill.
Vegetarian option: Vegetarian Korean BBQ mushrooms.
- Use fresh or dried shitake mushrooms instead of the beef.
- Use the same marinade as above and marinade the mushrooms well.
- Cook on the grill or in a frying pan.
- Lettuce for wrapping the beef, Korean style
- spring onion salad, thinly sliced spring onions dressed with sesame oil and a sprinkle of sugar
- white rice
Equipment needed for this dish