We made this recipe at the Masterchef Masterclass the BBC Good Food Show at the NEC recently. Mat was assisted by Edd Kimber at the Masterclass. The recipe gives a little twist to the basic chocolate mousse with a hint of rosemary as flavouring.
200ml double cream
1tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
3 eggs, separated
100g dark chocolate (72% cocoa or higher) broken into small pieces
1. Heat the cream in a pan with the rosemary over a low heat until just beginning to simmer. Do not allow to boil.
2. Remove from the heat and leave to cool. When cook, chill in the fridge for 20 mins.
3. Pass the cream through a sieve into a bowl and whisk to soft peaks.
4. In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. (Don’t do this too early as the egg whites get runny after a while)
5. Melt the chocolate in a pan set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Stir in the egg yolks. (At the show, we used Miele’s amazing steam oven to melt the chocolate which worked a treat.)
6. Fold in the whipped cream, then carefully fold in the egg whites.
7. Spoon into serving dishes and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.
Read about our Masterchef experience here.