I am trying to eat more fish and am trying out different healthy recipes. I like smoked salmon and thought that this sandwich recipe with the addition of avocado would be a healthier option. You will get a good dose of healthy oils from this sandwich, with the omega 3 from the Salmon and heart friendly oils from the avocado.
I used the Warburtons seeded sandwich thins to make this sandwich. The seeds in the bread add a little bit more of those healthy oils. I’ll take any chance to add good oils to my meals. With each slice being only 100 calories, it makes for a lighter lunch. This sandwich makes a perfect sized meal for me and just right for grazing, which is another hot food trend this year.
Since I had a whole pack of the thins, I made a Goats Cheese with Balsamic Onions sandwich too. In line with one of the food trends that has been identified by Warburtons in their recent study, contrast of sweet and spice flavours is one of the combinations they are predicting. This sandwich has sweetness from the chutney, tangyness from the balsamic onions and the savoury notes of the goats cheese.
This sandwich is quite simple but the contrasting flavours and textures give quite a punch. I spread on some mango chutney (you can use any other sweet preserve), soaked some shallots in balsamic for a few minutes, layered on some British goats cheese and slices of cucumber for texture and balance.
You can read more about Warburtons’ food trends on their facebook page.
Smoked Salmon Mousse and Avocado Sandwich
- smoked salmon trimmings
- 1 avocado
- small pack of cream cheese
- creme fraiche or natural yoghurt if you have any
- juice of a lemon
- Blitz the smoked salmon, cream cheese and 1 tbsp of creme fraiche or yoghurt in a mini chopper. Add the lemon juice and a pinch of pepper to season. You won't need to add salt as the salmon is quite salty.
- Spread generously on your bread and top with slices of avocado.
- This can be served as an open sandwich too.
- Any leftover smoked salmon mousse can be served on toast as a starter too.
These recipes were created in collaboration with Warburtons