I am always trying to incorporate more vegetables into my daily meals and one way that I found to do this is to make a frittata with lots of vegetables. This version is with Broccoli, low GI sweet potatoes and caramelised onions. It is very easy to make and makes a great lunch with a side salad. You can use any vegetable you have in the fridge, even kale or spinach. I use some turmeric in the egg mixture as I am always finding ways to incorporate this great anti inflammatory spice into any recipe. It also gives the dish a rich yellow colour.
This can be eaten cold, put in lunch boxes and taken on picnics too. This recipe is so versatile that you can substitute any other vegetable to make it more to your diet requirements. It is a great Paleo and Low Carb meal too.
Superfood Frittata with Sweet Potatoes and Broccoli
- 5 eggs
- a handful of broccoli
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 red onion
- some grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric optional but a great anti inflammatory
- cold pressed rapeseed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In an oven proof omellete pan, caramelise the red onions slowly
- Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes and blanch the broccoli
- When the onions are nicely brown, top with the sweet potato and broccoli or other vegetables
- Beat 5 eggs and add a handful of grated cheese if you like.
- Season the egg mixture and pour evenly over the vegetables in the pan
- Cover the pan and cook on the stove for a few minutes and then put the pan under a hot grill for another 2-3 minutes until the egg is set.
- Alternatively, you can put the whole pan in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the eggs are set at 180°C.
If you don’t like the idea of frittatas but want some different egg recipes, you could always try these scrambled egg recipes instead.