What do you do with all that leftover turkey after Christmas? If you are tired of the go to recipe of Coronation Turkey or turkey sandwiches, try this recipe with a little bit of zing.
I like to spice up my leftover turkey and this is a very quick and tasty Thai inspired recipe. It’s something very simple using Thai flavours with ingredients that you most probably have in the store cupboard. You can serve this as a canape as little lettuce wraps or serve the dish with some boiled jasmine rice.
It’s like a warm meat salad and you can swap out ingredients depending on what you have to hand. Instead of using turkey, you can also use minced pork or chicken. Instead of fresh chillies, you can use chilli flakes and instead of coriander, you can use mint.
Thai Style Minced Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- a few slices of leftover turkey chopped into small cubes
- little gem lettuce
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 handful of coriander chopped (including the stalks)
- 1 long red chilli julienned lengthwise or 2-3 birds eye chillies if you prefer it hotter
- 1 tbsp fish sauce or to taste
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- In a hot pan, add some oil and fry the onions for about 2 minutes until it softens
- Add the garlic and stir for another minute
- Add the leftover turkey and stir in to mix and warm up
- Season with the fish sauce, start with a little and adjust seasoning to your own taste
- Take off the heat
- Add in the chillies and coriander and combine evenly
- Serve on individual leaves of the little gem lettuce with some wedges of lime.
- Alternatively, you can serve this as a starter in a big bowl and a separate plate of lettuce leaves. Everyone can then make their own lettuce parcels.
The ingredients were supplied by Sainsbury