At a recent supperclub sponsored by Unearthed, Masterchef Tim Anderson served up goats cheese marshmallows skewered with Biltong Twigs. I was really intriqued as to how he made these and here is the recipe.
Tim Anderson’s Biltong Twigs
- 20 g brown rice
- 20 g high-fibre oat bran cereal e.g. All-Bran
- 60 g whole-wheat flour
- sea salt to taste
- 15 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 pack unearthed® biltong
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
- Cook the brown rice in salted water until it is very overcooked; it should be slightly mushy. Drain and combine with all dry ingredients in a food processor. Process until a fine crumb is formed.
- Add the egg and enough water, little by little, to bring it together into a firm but slightly sticky dough.
- Leave to sit for a half hour for the gluten to develop, then roll out into long, thin, twig shapes – try to keep them less than 1cm in diameter, with a slight point on the end.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat; it should be about 180ºC.
- Gently lay the twigs into the oil and fry until they are a dark brown colour.
- Drain on kitchen towel and reserve until ready to serve.