Turkey is not just for Christmas. I like to cook with turkey whenever I can for the low fat protein and high tryptophan levels.
This recipe is a quick one-pot supper, done in a few minutes and so tasty. As per all my recipes, feel free to add any other vegetables to the dish with whatever you have in the fridge. In this recipe, I have also added an egg for an extra protein. You can of course pimp it up by adding some chilli flakes, fresh chillis or chilli sauce to make it spicy too.
You can have it on rice or your own favourite grain. A few ideas of alternative grains you can use are
- Millett, low alkali food or mix in millet with your rice
- quinoa, higher protein but higher calories
- red rice
- wild rice
To balance out the meal, I added some pak choi which is simply blanched and seasoned with some soy sauce and sesame oil.
Do try it, it’s quick to cook, using a few simple ingredients, high protein and very tasty.
Turkey Teriyaki Rice Bowl
- 400 g turkey mince
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp sugar or to taste
- 2 tbsp sliced spring onions
- 2 head of pak choi
- a handful of broccolli florets
- cooking oil
- 50 g white rice per person
- Rinse and cook the rice as per instructions on the pack
- Prepare the garlic and onions
- Put 1 tbsp of oil in a hot pan and fry the garlic and onions until the onions soften. Don't let it burn.
- Add the turkey and stir to cook evenly.
- Mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and pour over the turkey mixture.
- Stir until it has cooked through and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice or equivalent grain and garnish with the spring onions.
Best of British