Tzatziki is the staple on every Greek Taverna’s table. We had it at every meal, eaten as a dip with bread or with grilled meats or souvlaki. This recipe is quite garlicky, as this is the authentic way that my Greek friend’s mum taught me. It is nothing like the stuff you get from supermarkets in the UK.
- 200 g Greek Yoghurt
- Half a cucumber
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Some chopped mint or dill optional
- Salt to taste.
- Peel and cut a cucumber in half lengthways.
- Scoop our the seeds with a teaspoon and discard.
- Grate finely or chop the cucumber flesh and put in a sieve.
- Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and leave to drain over a bowl for 10-15 minutes.
- meanwhile put 200g of Greek Yoghurt, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 tbsp olive oil and some chopped mint or dill.Mix well.
- Squeeze the excess water from the cucumber and add to the yoghurt bowl.
- Mix well and season with salt.