Semolina Sponge Cake with Almonds, Hazelnuts, Greek Yoghurt and Honey
Easy and Delicious Semolina Poppy Seed Sponge Cake recipe. If I can do it, anyone can. Try it.
Servings: 8 servings
For the Sponge Cake
- 120 g TOTAL Classic Greek Yoghurt
- 250 g butter
- 190 g golden caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 50 g self-raising flour
- Zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon keep separate
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 g ground hazelnuts
- 250 g semolina
- 2 tablespoons of poppy seeds plus 1 tablespoon extra for the top of the cake
For the syrup
- Juice of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 175 ml water
- 140 g golden caster sugar
- 50 g honey
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- A blob of TOTAL Classic Greek Yoghurt
Pre heat the oven to 175°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
Grease the baking tin.
Beat the butter and sugar until it is pale yellow and creamy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time.
Now chuck in the flour, zest, ground nuts, semolina, Greek yoghurt and poppy seeds.
Stir everything up well and spoon in to your greased baking case.
Bake for about 1 hour but check after 45 minutes – the sponge will be golden brown and springy when cooked.
Put the cooked cake to one side to cool slightly and make the syrup.
Make the Syrup
To make the syrup place all the ingredients in a pan and bring to a boil. (Taste the syrup and adjust the acidity to your taste, the zingier the better.)
Allow the syrup mixture to reduce by at least half.
Using a fork dot holes across the surface of the cake and then pour over the syrup, sprinkle with the extra poppy seeds.
Serve with Greek yoghurt and a trickle of honey.