This recipe is sponsored by Tesco
Nothing says spring like the arrival of Jersey Royal new potatoes and other fabulous seasonal vegetables like asparagus. With all the abundance of the land available in the shops now, its a great time to dish up some delicious salad dishes.
This Tesco Jersey Royal new potato is a very quick and satisfying salad to make, either for lunch or as a vegetable side dish. Using the lovely seasonal Jersey Royals new potatoes gives this dish an added seasonal sparkle. Did you know that Tesco Jersey Royals can only be grown on the island of Jersey?
About Jersey Royals New Potatoes
They are only grown in Jersey using the same methods they have employed for over 140 years. They still plant the seeds by hand and fertilised with seaweed from the local beaches. It is the only potato that carries the EU Protected Designation of Origin mark of authenticity.
Top tip: You can buy these Tesco Jersey Royal New Potatoes at a much better price than the other supermarket (W), triple the price), available from Tesco.
To make this dish sing, you can add more ingredients to the salad like torn herbs, cheese or other salad leaves if you like. You just need to adjust the dressing to suit your tastes.
It makes for a great lunch salad or even as a side salad to some grilled fish or chicken.
This is a very quick and satisfying salad to make. Using the delicious seasonal Jersey Royals new potatoes gives this dish an added seasonal sparkle.
- 450 g Jersey New Potatoes
- 250 g Asparagus
- 3 eggs, , hard boiled
- 50 g pine nuts or any other nuts you have
- a handful of spinach leaves
For the dressing
- 5 tbsp oilve oil
- 2 tbsp of white wine vinegar or substitute with sherry vinegar or any flavoured vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 squeeze of honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the Jersey Royal potatoes to small bite size pieces. They just need a quick wash and do not need peeling as the skin is really thin.
- Boil a big pot of water and add the cut potatoes. Boil in salted water for about 20 minutes until tender, depending on quantity. Poke with a fork to check doneness. You don't want them too soft.
- Place the eggs in a cold pan of water and place on hob to boil.
- Heat a small frying pan to medium heat, add the pine nuts and keep moving them around to toast and brown. Remove from heat.
- Blanch in a shallow pan for a couple of minutes or grill the asparagus.
- Drain the boiled potatoes and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing in a separate bowl and season for taste.
- To assemble, put all ingredients into a big salad bowl except the eggs. Drizzle a generous amount of dressing. Mix together well.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust.
- Peel and halve the boiled eggs and place on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle on the toasted pine nuts.
- Serve immediately.
You can add any other salad leaves or vegetables to this salad as you like. It is quite versatile.