As part of the Brazilian recipe series, I have a really simple ice cream or ice lolly recipe using Avocados. In Brazil, they use Avocados in both savoury and sweet dishes like Avocado Mousse and Avocado and Coconut cream. The creaminess that the avocado imparts makes it an ideal ingredient in ice cream.
Healthy Fat in Avocado – The avocado is one of those super foods that they always recommend in Anti Inflammatory diets as a good source of healthy fats. Besides being full of potassium it a souce of healthy monounsaturated fat that is easily burned for energy. Some studies have found that by eating half an avocado with a burger inhibited the production of inflammatory compounds. If you follow any sort of low carb diet, avocados is a good ingredient to add to increase your intake of healthy fats.
So try this Mango and Avocado Ice Cream recipe as a healthy alternative to other fat laden desserts.
Avocado and Mango Ice Lollies Dairy Free
- 1 large ripe mango cut into chunks
- 2 Avocados flesh scooped out or cut into chunks
- 200 ml canned coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp Golden Caster sugar or honey if you prefer. Add to taste
- Blend all the ingredients together until smooth. I used the mini bowl and the main blade in the Magimix to make the first batch.
- Fill the ice lollie moulds to the top and put in the sticks.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- When ready, you can soak them in a little hot water to get them out of moulds.
- To decorate, you can either roll them in some dessicated coconut to make them look pretty or partly dip them in chocolate or even drizzle over some melted chocolate to make a lacey design.
If you don’t want to make ice lollies, you can put the mixture into an ice cream machine or even better, use this nifty new tool Chef’n Ice Cream Maker where you can make ice cream in 90 seconds.