At a recent event at Suda Thai Restaurant in Covent Garden, we were show how to make this very popular Thai Dessert.
Mango Sticky Rice
- 2 cups glutinous rice
- 1 cup coconut cream or thick coconut milk
- 3 tbsp coconut cream for topping
- a pinch of salk
- 1 cup sugar
- 5-6 Thai mangoes
- Soak the 2 cups of glufinous rice for 6 hrs. Draìn.
- Wrap the rice in clean muslin cloth. Steam in a double pan (a bamboo steamer over a pan of boiling wafer will suffice) for 15 mínufes or until rice is cooked.
Preparing the topping
- Boil 3tbsp of cocount cream, add the pinch of salt and set aside.
Sweet Sticky Rice Preparation
- Dissolve 1 cup sugar in 1 cup cocount cream over a very low heat.
- Add salt and pandan leaves to add aroma. Stir well and remove from heat.
- Put the cooked sticky rice in a bowl and gradually blend in the coconut cream.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Then fold/ turn again, cover to let the aroma develop.
- Peel and slice the ripe mango. Place sîicky rice on a small plate and top with mango slices.
- Spoon the Coconut cream on top of The mango and rice. Serve.
- Here are the instructions for cooking sticky rice in a microwave:
- For 300 grams of sticky rice
- I) pouring boiling water over uncooked sticky rice, about on inch over the rice.
- 2) stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- 3) after washing the rice thoroughly with the some water in the container, drain out the water.
- 4) put in warm water again just enough to cover the rice.
- 5) microwave at high for 5 minutes.
- 6) toke it out and stir, it should be ready now.
- 7) if the rice is still hard. put into microwave for another 3 minutes.
You can read the review of Suda Thai Restaurant here.